It’s Christmas time again, and as is customary for this season of gift-giving, you’ll probably be involved in some sort of Secret Santa gift exchange before it’s all said and done. Whether you’re buying for a co-worker, a member of your extended family or otherwise, your job is to select a gift that will put a smile on their face without knocking a hole in your wallet. If you want to gain a reputation for being the best gift giver ever, try out these helpful ideas that will get your Secret Santa game on point.
1. Do a little “detective work” to find out more about the recipient. What are their likes, interests, hobbies, etc.? This will go a long way toward helping you personalize your gift, and it can even keep you from making a major Secret Santa gaffe, such as giving a bottle of wine to a co-worker who doesn’t drink. Ask fellow co-workers who may know them fairly well, or even check out their social media accounts for any clues as to what their likes and dislikes are.
2. Cozy winter clothing accessories are pretty much a can’t-miss gift idea. Scarves, gloves, hats, thick socks, etc., in warm or neutral colors are your best bet in order to accommodate the widest range of tastes. Not only is this gift timely, but it’s also useful – a key thing to remember in gift giving when you don’t know a person well.
3. Besides significant others, many people’s most important relationship is with their smartphone. Think of smartphone accessories like a portable phone charger, a stylish set of earbuds or a trendy new phone case (be sure to find out what type of phone they have for this one).
4. Has anyone ever been mad about receiving gourmet treats such as chocolates, cookies, fudge, or handmade candies? This goes along with the usefulness tip – when you don’t know someone extremely well, you can always bank on an edible gift being well received.
5. If it’s a work gift exchange, why not give the gift of organization with some classy desk accessories to help your co-worker keep track of all their pens, pencils, paper clips, post-it notes, markers, etc. And if the gift is for someone in another area of your life, try a catch-all tray that they can use to give their keys, loose change, etc., a place to call home.
6. Are gift cards an appropriate Secret Santa gift? Some say yes, some say no, but the key thing to remember when giving any gift is to put some thought and effort into it. If you pay attention to the person’s personal tastes and preferences, you should be able to come up with a gift card he or she is sure to appreciate. Just like being useful and edible, a spendable gift is one you can rarely go wrong with.
The last thing you want is to be remembered for being a dud, so use these tips to make your gift a Secret Santa smash hit!